Throughout history, spices have been very important and not only in gastronomy. Preserving food, seasoning dishes, curing diseases such as the common cold, improving the immune system, preparing perfumes, ointments or lotions to clean the skin and beautify it naturally depending on the skin type, have been some of its most important functions.
Already in ancient Egypt , they were part of the daily lives of its inhabitants, both to make natural remedies and preparations for religious, cosmetic or food preservation purposes.
For later civilizations, spices were as important or even more important. Let us not forget that it was one of the main causes of the great discoveries of the 15th and 16th centuries.
They were so valuable that some surpassed the value of gold or precious stones. A good example of this is the rumor that circulates around Emperor Charles V who apparently loved spices so much that he gave a huge diamond to a merchant, in exchange for a chest of new spices from the island of Java.
With the passage of time and as science has advanced, it has been shown that spices do indeed offer us wonderful properties for the human body. In addition to being purifying, anti-inflammatory, and anti-infectious, they have a proven antioxidant capacity to maintain the vitality and youth of our skin cells. They can also help us reduce hyperpigmentation, detoxify our body, regenerate the skin or stimulate circulation.
Additionally, if you want to consume fewer calories, they are a good substitute for salt and sugar, as they enhance the flavors.
And without further ado, we recommend some of the most powerful spices for your skin. Use them for your sweet and savory dishes, and even your herbal teas!
And, of course, don't neglect your daily cosmetic routine, ideally with natural and skin-friendly cosmetics like those from OHMYKOKO , the leading activist brand for your skin .
1 - TURMERIC
This spice comes from the underground stem of the plant. Once dry, it is ground into an intense yellow powder with incredible properties:
- Rejuvenating action. Its curcumin content makes it one of the most effective antioxidants against the aggression of external factors.
- Purifies the skin . It is a powerful “detox” ingredient, stimulating the activity of the liver.
- Relieves skin inflamed by redness and itching , acne or eczema .
- It helps fight acne by being antiseptic and antibacterial , and by preventing cells from clumping together and clogging pores, forming blackheads.
- Regulates excess sebum
- Helps heal wounds
- Brightens and revives dull complexion
To fully enjoy the properties of this golden species from India, the ideal is to consume the root or juice. If you use the powdered spice, always add ground pepper so that the body assimilates the curcumin well and it is really effective.
2 - GINGER
Ginger is an ancient plant widely used in popular medicine. It is native to India, although it has subsequently spread to Europe.
- It is very rich in antioxidant compounds, so it fights the action of free radicals , reducing cellular damage and preventing premature aging .
- Consumed raw, it is an incredible source of vitamins C, E, A, amino acids, minerals and trace elements such as zinc and copper. The latter are necessary for the formation of collagen and protection against free radicals.
- Helps to have firm, juicy and vital skin.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties
If its flavor is too strong and spicy for you, you can consume it in powder form, which has practically the same properties as the fresh one.
We especially recommend that you consume it in the form of a herbal tea , this way you also consume more water and your skin will thank you.
3 - SAFFRON
Its cultivation dates back more than 3,000 years in Asia, making it one of the oldest known. It is obtained from the stigmas of the plant's flower that are collected at dawn, before the sun rises. The filaments are extracted very carefully and within 12 hours of picking the flowers.
It is not surprising that it has always been a luxury species, known as “red gold”. To get 1 kg of pure saffron, you need 250,000 flowers!
- It contains about one hundred carotenoid compounds, including zeaxanthin, lycopene or beta-carotene; and crocin, all of which are powerful antioxidants.
- Antiseptic that helps treat pimples and acne
- It contains glycan, a chain of saccharide structures with cellular regenerating activity and strengthening of the skin barrier.
- It is rich in flavonoids, calming and antioxidants.
- By helping to control the enzyme tyrosinase, it exerts an anti-stain and anti-wrinkle effect.
4 - CARDAMOM
This plant is part of the same family as ginger and turmeric.
It has been used since ancient times in both health remedies and perfumery.
- It contains two active ingredients (alpha-terpenyl acetate and terpenic oxide) that exert a toning and firming action on the skin.
- Ideal for mature skin and oily skin as it provides zinc and vitamin B6, essential to protect the youth and purity of our skin.
- It contains vitamin C , which is a powerful antioxidant.
- It improves blood circulation throughout the body, thus improving the glow in the skin.
Cardamom is one of the most used species in India and one of the most mentioned in the Kamasutra and in the book of "The Thousand and One Nights" for its aphrodisiac properties.
It has a very particular flavor in which light touches of citrus, mint and something spicy are combined. Our recommendation, take it in the form of an infusion .
Who doesn't take its smell back to their earliest childhood? If there is a scent that makes you travel back in time and takes you back to your early years, it is vanilla. In fact, it is one of the most common smells in baby products.
Authentic vanilla comes from a unique orchid native to Mexico. Of all the varieties, the most precious is a species that is cultivated in Madagascar. It doesn't bloom until the third year and is pollinated by hand, within 24 hours of the flower opening!
Its wealth is in the small seeds rich in polyketones:
- Antioxidant : helps combat premature aging
- They illuminate the complexion
- Restorative: stimulates skin regeneration and activates healing
- Improves firmness
- It is anti-inflammatory and regenerating
- Helps fight acne, as it purifies and calms the skin
- It is rich in vitamin B , essential for cell regeneration .
- Moisturizing: its polyketones help maintain hydration and elasticity.
- It is antibacterial , so it improves the condition of acne
- It provides luminosity , gives homogeneity to the tone and helps to fade spots and scars.
Food is a fundamental pillar in your beauty strategy, but it should always go hand in hand with correct cosmetic habits with gentle products that respect the natural balance of your skin .
OHMYKOKO COSMETICS , in addition to gently pampering your skin, are authentic bombs of natural active ingredients for a truly transformative effect on your skin. Sign up for the OhMyKoko effect !, the first activist brand for your skin.